Durham Cathedral receives £2 million funding to protect it during the coronavirus pandemic

Durham Cathedral has received lottery funding worth almost £2 million to maintain it during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Oliver Dowden, Secretary of State for Culture, confirmed the cash for the Cathedral, which is one of 162 heritage sites across England to share the £14 million.

These grants for historic sites aim to meet the ongoing costs and support the reopening and restarting activity when it is possible to safely do so.

Other North Eastern historic sites that have received funding include The Friends of the Stockton and Darlington Railway (£35,000), Trinity Church in Gosforth (£30,000) and Northumberland Heavy Horse Heritage (£20,000).

Duncan Wilson, chief executive of Historic England Chief Executive, said: “Historic places across the country, from Durham Cathedral embodying more than a thousand years of history to the Crystal Palace dinosaurs, much loved by children and grown ups alike, are being supported by the Government’s latest round of grants awarded under the Culture Recovery Fund.

“This funding is a lifeline which is kick-starting essential repairs and maintenance at many of our most precious historic sites, so they can begin to recover from the damaging effects of Covid-19.

“It is also providing employment for skilled craft workers who help to keep historic places alive and the wheels of the heritage sector turning. Our shared heritage is an anchor for us all in these challenging times and this funding will help to ensure it remains part of our collective future.”

Under the current national lockdown, Durham Cathedral has shut to visitors but remains open for private prayer and quiet reflection only. Worships continues online, with live-streamed services on the Cathedral’s Facebook page.

Image by