Durham City hospitality venues set to open today

From 12th April, hospitality venues across Durham city, and the whole country, will be permitted to serve food and drinks outside as the next set of lockdown restrictions are eased.

In County Durham, pubs, cafes, and restaurants have been closed since the November lockdown. Before November, tier 2 restrictions in place since September meant households were unable to mix indoors at restaurants, cafes and bars.

Not every venue will be operating a booking system, with some operating on a ‘first come, first served basis’.

The following venues in Durham City have been confirmed that they will be opening their doors on 12th April:

The Boat-Club & Tomahawk, Durham City

One of Durham’s favourite bars and their new top-floor restaurant will be opening with their scenic views across the river. Perfect for a quiet cocktail evening or riverside date night.

Slug & Lettuce Durham, Durham City

With seasonal menus and a long list of picture-worthy cocktails, Slug & Lettuce’s outdoor space is sure to be a popular venue. (They even have 2-for-1 cocktails nearly all day every day!)

Whisky River Cocktail Bar and Cafe, Durham City

An affordable river side terrace bar, their grazing platters make for the perfect girls night out!

TheFoodPit, Durham City

Live music, craft beer, and food stations from around the world… what more could you need?

The Champagne Bar By Ebony, Durham City

Ideal for Instagram, The Champagne Bar offers glamorous scenery and stylish cocktails, perfect for a Summer treat!

Revolution Durham, Durham City

On the other side of town sits one of Durham’s favourites for bottomless brunches, society socials, and some of the prettiest cocktails around.

Thai River Restaurant, Durham City

With a stunning view of the cathedral and an option of set menus or a la carte, Thai River is an ideal meal out for the nights when you want to try somewhere new (and even has plenty of Veggie options!).

Wetherspoon Bishops’ Mill, Durham City

An absolute classic for a fry-up or casual drinks, we’re over the moon ‘Spoons will be opening with their ample outside space.

Old Toms Gin Bar, Durham

Speciality cheese and meat boards alongside their wide variety of drinks located inside a Tudor building (making it more like a museum experience than Durham’s contemporary bars!).

Tin of Sardines Gin Bar, Durham

As you’ve probably guessed from the name, this small speak-easy hosts a collection of over 200 gins from around the world.

The Cellar Door, Durham City

Perhaps on the pricier side, The Cellar Door is fine dining for celebratory occasions, with afternoon tea and Sunday lunch menus too!

Riverview Kitchen, Durham City

One of the most popular brunch venues in Durham, Riverview Kitchen is opening with outdoor riverside dining, prepared with heaters and rain covers, and a limited terrace menu.

The Library, Durham City

The stylish sports bar with its casual atmosphere is a favourite with big groups and socials, featuring fishbowls, local beers and lunchtime specials like wings and pancakes.

The changes to the restrictions come after several retailers announced that they will be permanently shutting their doors in Durham City Centre after the Covid-19 lockdown. This includes Topshop, EE, M&Co, and most recently Esquires Coffee Chain.

However, a new steak and seafood restaurant, Rib ‘N’ Reef, is set to open on 21st May in Durham City Centre in the former Psyche store on Silver Street.

Image: Billy Wilson via Flickr