Durham University invests £30,000 in Community Response Team

Durham University has invested £30,000 in creating a University Security Community Response Team (CRT) to support local Covid-19 policing.

The CRT will undertake pro-active patrols of student areas of the City and support the local police in responding to incidences of Covid-19 breaches.

The police, however, will continue to take a primary role in dealing with incidents and anyone who observes potential breaches should continue to report them via the Durham Constabulary website live chat function or by calling the 101 non-emergency number.

Jeremy Cook, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Colleges and Student Experience, at the University, said: “We want to do everything possible to be a responsible University; a constructive partner and good neighbour in our City and community.

“We already provide significant financial support for a term-time police presence and Durham County Council’s Neighbourhood Wardens scheme.

“We are very pleased to be adding to these existing commitments by launching the University Security Community Response Team, as part of our ongoing effort to help keep everyone safe.”

When responding to an incident, the CRT will seek constructive engagement with students and offer advice on observing local and national Covid-19 restrictions. This includes reminding them of the University’s Student Pledge, which has recently been updated to reflect the Covid-19 restrictions and responsibilities to students.

This follows the University’s announcement of its ‘yellow, amber, and red’ warning system for Covid-19 breaches, which carries expulsion from the University as its most extreme penalty.

Image: Durham University