Durham announces scholarship for students from India

Durham University has announced scholarships for a range of courses for students from India. The scholarships, which will start from 2021, are for undergraduate and taught postgraduate courses in Engineering, and taught postgraduate courses in and Data Science. Recipients will receive £4,000 over the course of their programme.

The scholarship will be awarded to all international fee-paying applicants from India and will be given in the form of a tuition fee scholarship. Students must be completely self-funding to be eligible for the scholarship.

The terms and conditions of the scholarships stipulate that students must be willing to participate and cooperate in public marketing and internal marketing activities that the University may organise.

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor at Durham University, said “We have proud links with India, including through energy, environmental and biosciences research, extensive business networks and a thriving alumni group based in Mumbai.

“India has been a lifelong passion for me personally, working with colleagues on issues around governance and empowerment in eastern India.”

The scholarship comes at a time in which India is the fastest growing market for British universities, with nearly 27,000 Indian students coming to the UK in 2018-19.

However, relatively few students currently studying at Durham University are from India, with just 216 students attending the University in 2019-20.

Image: Beatrice