Heron, Lumiere, Light installation

Lumiere to return in 2021

Lumiere, the UK’s largest and most successful light festival, will return to County Durham in 2021, showcasing works by local, national, and international artists.

Last year’s Lumiere boosted the local economy by £11.5 million, and, despite the extreme weather conditions affecting attendance numbers, turnout remained high with around 165,000 visitors.

More than 10,000 local residents have benefited from the festival’s learning and participation programmes

Cllr Simon Henig, Leader of Durham County Council, said: “This year has been incredibly difficult for people in County Durham and across the world.

“The impact of coronavirus on our communities has been profound and I think we are all in need of something to look forward to at the moment.

“By announcing Lumiere’s return next year, we hope to spread a message of hope and show there is light at the end of the tunnel in these difficult times.

“As the evaluation of last year’s festival demonstrates, Lumiere also provides a significant boost to our economy, as well as supporting artists and creative businesses from the UK and beyond.

“The most complete recent figures show creative industries contributed more than £11 billion to the UK economy in 2018 and we expect the arts will play a crucial role in our region’s recovery from the pandemic.

“Lumiere will be a major part of that and I’m delighted to announce its return.”

Community outreach is also an important part of Lumiere. Since 2009, more than 10,000 local residents, including thousands of schoolchildren, have benefited from the festival’s learning and participation pro- grammes, as well as the many volunteering opportunities the event creates.

The event has been planned to take place from Thursday 18th to Sunday 21st November 2021, with the art’s charity and Lumiere organiser, Artichoke, making sure that appropriate measures are in place to keep attendants safe in accordance with the current coronavirus guidelines.

Image: /Paul Norris