All teaching for Level 2-4 undergraduate modules to be online in first week

Durham University announced yesterday that all teaching for students studying Level 2-4 modules will be delivered online for the first teaching week of the Michaelmas Term. Practical classes, however, are exempt and will take place in person.

Students who are affected by this will be contacted by their academic departments, who will explain how this is to be delivered.

Face-to-face teaching for foundation students, those studying Level 1 undergraduate modules, and most postgraduate taught students will take place during the first teaching week.

The email stated this was to “further protect staff and prioritise in-person engagements with those who are new to the community”.

This comes after new local lockdown restrictions were introduced across the North East, including a ban on the mixing of households and a 10pm curfew on leisure and entertainment venues.

This set-up is part of the University’s ‘blended learning’ approach which combines teaching online and socially distanced face-to-face teaching.

Teaching that is scheduled to be in-person for the rest of the year will recommence for level 2-4 modules in the second teaching week of the term, beginning Monday 12th October 2020.

A further email stated that the University has a “small number” of Covid-19 cases within its student community. All students with confirmed cases of Covid-19 are self isolating.

The email also included guidance for clinically vulnerable students in the very high-risk category, who are being advised to contact their College Student Support Office to make arrangements. For more serious cases, arrangements including online teaching, interruption of studies, or deferments or later start dates, will be considered.

The University has amended its student pledge, which all Durham students are required to sign before they begin their studies. The pledge now requires students to commit to staying up to date with government Covid-19 guidelines, and to act in a way that keeps them and others safe during the pandemic.

Image: ميكيلا michela via CreativeCommons