Two students expelled for breaching Covid-19 regulations

Durham University has expelled two students for breaching Covid-19 regulations, with both cases considered by its Senate Discipline Committee.

In a statement published on its website and circulated among students via email today, Durham University announced that “Two students have been expelled from the University for serious misconduct related to breaches of Covid-19 regulations.

“Our University community is based on respect and care for one another and for the local residents with whom we share our city. The vast majority of students have responded to Government restrictions, in place to help control the spread of Covid-19, as responsible citizens.  

“Nevertheless, the threat posed by Covid-19 is now acute and we must, if a student breaks the Government or University regulations, take swift and decisive action,” the statement continued.

“Working with Durham County Council Public Health Team and local partners, we have developed robust health and safety plans. These plans are informed by UK government and expert guidance and enable us to provide a Covid-secure environment for our University community. 

“The vast majority of students have responded to Government restrictions, in place to help control the spread of Covid-19, as responsible citizens.”  

“We communicate regularly with our staff and students to remind them of the latest Covid-19 guidelines.”

Under the University’s Covid-19 regulations, students can be issued a yellow warning by their college for a first time, low-level breach of the regulations.

Further breaches may result in an amber warning where the student will receive a formal warning on their record and may also receive a fine of up to £500 or community service of up to 75 hours.

For more serious breaches of the regulations where “serious aggravating factors” are identified, the student will receive a red warning, resulting in permanent exclusion from the University.

A number of students were recently temporarily excluded from St Chad’s College following breaches of Covid-19 regulations which took place on Chad’s Day after police were called to Observatory Hill to deal with a large gathering of students. Other members of the College were given yellow and amber warnings.