Face to face teaching to continue at Durham University despite new Covid restrictions

Durham University has confirmed that face to face teaching will continue at Durham despite the new lockdown regulations announced by the government yesterday, which came into force at midnight last night.

In an email to the whole student body, the University said that teaching will continue face to face in a “Covid-secure environment”.

“We’re working at pace to review and amend our plans as necessary for the safe return to campus across our research, education and wider student experience operations in light of this new legislation.

“We’ve not yet received the regulations outlining the advice, guidance and legislation in full.  We’ll provide further guidance on what these restrictions mean for our staff and students as soon as possible and will continue to update you regularly.”

The new regulations issued yesterday mean that people living in Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle, North Tyneside, Northumberland, South Tyneside, and Sunderland will not be allowed to socialise with people from outside their household or support bubble. This will apply to both indoor and outdoor social gatherings.

The restrictions also mean that a 10pm-5am curfew will be placed on leisure and entertainment venues, including pubs and restaurants, which will now operate a table service only. Public transport will be restricted to essential use only, such as travelling to school or work.

People living in the affected areas will also be encouraged to avoid attending amateur and semi-professional sporting events as spectators. 

Image: Scott Hewitt via Unsplash.