Durham University announces policy on A Level results and appeals

Durham University has confirmed that all students who meet the conditions of their offer after successfully appealing their A Level results will be guaranteed a place at the University, although some will be deferred to 2021 if their chosen course is full.

Durham University told Palatinate: “we will ensure that any applicant who successfully appeals their A Level results and meets the conditions of their offer is awarded a place on their course.

“We will do our very best to enrol successfully appealing students in 2020 and where this is not possible we will guarantee entry for 2021.”

The University will accept notice of regraded results up until 7th September, then respond to all offer holders on 10th September. This means that students who choose to adjust their results by sitting exams in the Autumn will receive their new results too late to be granted a place at Durham for 2020 entry.

Instead, these students will have to reapply to Durham in the 2020-21 UCAS cycle, and Durham will consider such applications “afresh”. The University has assured students that, “if you feel your grades do not truly reflect your ability and potential, please don’t worry, we base our decision on your qualifications achieved before summer 2020 and on any predictions or grades achieved in your autumn 2020 examinations.”

The University’s statement also mentions that “this year more students met the conditions of their offer than expected, and as a consequence some courses are near capacity.

“To ensure that all students have the best possible experience, we may need to defer some students admitted on appeal for 2021 entry.”

Students who successfully appeal their results for a place will be placed into the college they were originally allocated wherever possible, though Durham’s colleges are “near capacity” for this coming year, according to the University.

The University’s statement said, “If we are able to offer you a place on your course for 2020, but your original college is full, then we will allocate you to a different college”. However, students who are offered deferred places for 2021 will be guaranteed their original college allocations.

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor said: “At Durham we are committed to admitting a diverse cohort of students. We will ensure that any applicant who successfully appeals their exam results and meets the condition of their offer is awarded a place on their course.

“We will do our very best to enrol successfully appealing students in 2020. Where this is not possible we will guarantee entry for 2021.

“We recognise the significant disruption that students have faced this year and we will continue to do all that we can to support our offer holders.”

Many A Level students were left disappointed this year after the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual)’s system of allocating results left 39% of centre assessed grades (CAGs) downgraded.

Last Tuesday, the Education Secretary Gavin Williamson announced that students in England could use their mock exam grades to appeal if their mock exam grades are higher than their awarded grades, and if the school can prove the mock exam was valid. 

Ofqual did publish criteria for what constitutes a valid mock exam, though the policy has now been revoked and is under review by the regulator.

More information about Durham’s policy on A Level results and appeals can be found here.

Image: Durham University

One thought on “Durham University announces policy on A Level results and appeals

• Hello does it mean student has to wait until 10 September regarding place availability. Does that then mean the student can’t confirm insurance place due to UCAS deadline being 31 August and then loose their firm place of study.
    What should be done