University announces consultation process for the appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor

The University has launched a staff and student consultation process for the appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor.

In an email, the Chair of Council, Joe Docherty, stated that a joint Council and Senate working group has been established to oversee the recruitment process, which will make a recommendation to Council, the governing body of the University, on a preferred candidate in late January 2021.

The University has also appointed the executive search firm, Perrett Laver, to assist in the recruitment process and to carry out consultation sessions with “staff, students and other stakeholders”. Perrett Laver has been used by the University a number of times in the past to recruit senior staff, including Stuart Corbridge as Vice-Chancellor in 2015. 

The consultation process will be used to design a candidate brief and to establish criteria for the selection process, and will seek the views of the University community on the “vision, ambitions and particular opportunities for Durham University”, as well as the challenges that the University faces in the next ten years.

It will also ask students and staff for their views on the values of the University and “how they should be reflected in the next Vice-Chancellor”, and the “background, experience and characteristics” that the University community wishes to identify in the next Vice-Chancellor. 

This new appointment process comes after it was announced that the resignation of Stuart Corbridge, who has served as Durham University’s Vice-Chancellor since 2015, will be brought forward from 2022 to July 2021, due to health reasons. 

The new Vice-Chancellor will oversee the University as it continues to carry out its expansion plans, which include the growth of the student population from 17,500 to 21,500, and the creation of new colleges and a new Mathematical Sciences and Computer Science building by 2027. 

Consultation sessions will be carried out over Zoom throughout August and early September.

Image: Durham University