Brands including Topshop and M&Co close in Durham

Several retailers have announced they will be permanently shutting their doors in Durham City Centre after the Covid-19 lockdown.

The extensive list includes Topshop, M&Co, Hotter, Cotswold Outdoor, EE and Dicksons on Silver Street, and leaves a current total of 33 retail units in the City Centre empty.

It comes at a time of increasing turbulence for high street retailers with the Covid-19 pandemic accelerating the shift of consumer habits from physical retail to online.

M&Co’s Durham store was one of 47 of their outlets across the country to shut as part of their major restricting programme and Hotter Shoes has cut the number of outlets from 61, including Durham, to just 15 after it announced a company voluntary agreement.

A current total of 33 retail units in the City Centre are empty

However, businesses are opening back up in the City with restaurants El Pincho and Flip & Stack due to open in the next few weeks.

New Look has also just revealed that it plans to reopen in Durham. Reports suggest that the company is seeking a three-year rent holiday on 68 of its stores and big rent reductions on hundreds of its other stores, in an attempt to secure the fate of 11,200 employees.

The City Centre has previously seen the closure of brands including Marks & Spencer, Pret a Manger, and Krispy Kreme.

Image: Billy Wilson via Flickr