Durham achieves its highest ever global ranking for Arts and Humanities

Arts and Humanities at Durham University have ranked 19th in the world according to The Times Higher Education (THE) World University by subject for 2021.

This is a rise of eight places from 27th place last year, and this is the University’s highest ever global ranking for Arts and Humanities. The 2021 have also seen a rise for Business, Economics, and Psychology at Durham.

Hundreds of universities across the world are ranked by the THE global rankings, based on teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income.

Researchers in Arts and Humanities work in a diverse range of subjects and projects and have seen huge successes in the last year, including one of the University’s leading theologians recently speaking alongside Pope Francis at the Vatican City in Rome at the global launch of his new Papal Encyclical ‘Fratelli Tutti’ – one of the Pope’s highest forms of communication.

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor, Durham University, said: “To see Arts and Humanities rise to its highest ever position and be classed among the World Top 20 is wonderful and demonstrates our commitment to offering a truly outstanding combination of education, research and wider student experience across the University.

“This achievement, and the continued strong performance of other subject areas in this prestigious global ranking, is a credit to all our staff and students who make Durham the special place it is and demonstrates the value and opportunities that come from studying and working at Durham.”

Nationally, Durham is ranked fourth in the Guardian University Guide 2021, sixth in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and seventh in the Complete University Guide 2021.

One thought on “Durham achieves its highest ever global ranking for Arts and Humanities

• Arts & humanities is racist and not a safe place for women of colour!