Gin distillery to open in Durham City centre

Durham Distillery, makers of the much-loved Durham Gin, are set to open a distillery attraction in central Durham. It will be located in the former Bank of Scotland building in Prince Bishops Shopping Centre.

The new distillery is predicted to be a great visitor attraction, the 6,000 square foot space will house a shop and ticket office on the ground floor. It will also hold a still room, bar and visitor space on the basement floor set underneath the Durham streets.

“We love Durham and we are proud to be at the heart of the city”

John Chadwick

The founder, John Chadwick commented: “This is a massive moment for the distillery. We have been working hard for years to get to this moment. We love Durham and we are proud to be at the heart of the city.”

The distillery will open the retail shop in time for Christmas, with the distillery and visitor space launching early next year. Once fully open, the plan is to run interactive distillery tours, cocktail masterclasses and private events, hoping to cater to a wide range of groups and ages.

Richard Toynbee, centre manager of Prince Bishops Shopping Centre, said: “This is one of the most exciting and innovative new retail projects happening anywhere in the UK, and we are incredibly excited to have Durham Distillery here in the centre as it reflects our strategy to welcome local, independent and entrepreneurial businesses.”

The opening of the distillery also mirrors a complete rebranding for the company, which will include new bottle designs and logos, as well as the introduction of Durham Whisky, the North East’s first ever single malt whisky.