Collingwood students complete distance to Durham, USA in charity challenge

Collingwood College students are running, cycling, and swimming the distance from Durham, UK, to Durham, North Carolina. The 3754-mile journey is being undertaken via Strava, in order to raise money for charity during lockdown.

The campaign aims to raise £3754, £1 per mile, across the lockdown period. Student Minds will receive 50% of the funds raised with a second charity being chosen by the college club or society that travels the most miles.

“We created the challenge to get students out of their rooms and keep the college spirit alive”

Arjuna Rupasinha

The Collingwood College Sports Captain, Arjuna Rupasinha, told Palatinate: “We created the challenge to get students out of their rooms and keep the college spirit alive. It was an excellent way to combine promoting student mental health and keep sport running.

“Student minds is one of the few charities that focuses on student mental health. Lockdown put a spotlight on the challenges faced by students and the importance of Student Minds’ cause.”

In an effort to promote the challenge, students have been participating in the ‘3,754 Challenge’. This is a social media based challenge in which participants are encouraged to run three miles, nominate seven friends, and donate £5 for charity. Over £950 has been raised, with over 300 students and alumni participating in the challenge.

The college have comfortably succeeded in their challenge and have now run over 10,000 miles, nearly covering the distance three times over. Students and alumni have contributed internationally, completing their miles not only in Durham but also in Belgium, Hong Kong, and even Collingwood in New Zealand.

The campaign comes weeks after College’s football club completed a 24-hour run in aid of RSAC (Rape and Sexual Abuse Counselling Centre, Durham). A remarkable effort that saw the club raise £3,677 for charity.

The campaign finished on 2nd December.