Bill Bryson Library to open for 22 hours a day until exams end

The Bill Bryson Library will be open for 22 hours a day, seven days a week from the start of Easter Term, Durham University today confirmed.

The library, colloquially known as the ‘Billy B’, is currently only open on weekdays from 9am to 8pm and weekends from 1pm to 5:30pm, having had its opening times extended to from 9am-8pm on weekdays on Saturday 6th March.

It is unclear which 22 hours of the day the library will be open for.

A Covid-19 update email sent today to all students and staff also stated that the new opening times will continue until the end of the “main assessment period” on Friday 4th June.

The new opening times will continue until the end of the “main assessment period” on Friday 4th June.

All study spaces at the University will also become “quiet zones” in order to facilitate students who may wish to complete assessments in University buildings.

The email also announced that the University’s library postal loans service – which was previously open only to academic staff, postgraduates and final-year undergraduates not currently residing in Durham – is now available to all students based in the UK who are not currently in Durham.

Rules concerning social distancing, mask-wearing and overstaying booked slots have not been changed.

The University’s Discover and Talis print reading list software will be unavailable tomorrow, 20th April, between 8am and 2pm due to maintenance. The Library Catalogue and online databases will be unaffected.