It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman in possession of some key cocktail ingredients must be in want of a Galentine. And if you’re anything like us, we’re expecting this Saturday eve to be a far bigger celebration than Sunday, which will just be a day for remaining hungover and reminiscing of the memories of the night before. In true Galentine style, turn your Durham living rooms into mini versions of Rev’s, order some Lebaneat, and celebrate a night of supporting your girlfriends, while we help you out with a few cocktail ideas inspired by the most iconic girl gang there has ever been.
Sporty Spice – Chocolate Espresso Martini
Think twice before you call chocolate a Valentine’s Day cliché, because it’s delicious all year round. Chocolate and espresso are an iconic pairing, and together they can add so much excitement to your night in. This chocolate espresso martini is perhaps the best way to kick off Galentine’s Day, giving you the caffeine boost you need for a fun-filled day.
You will need (for four servings):
- 50g chocolate, chopped (you can use any chocolate of your choice)
- a good handful of ice cubes
- 100ml espresso, chilled
- 100ml coffee liqueur (e.g. Kahlúa)
- 150ml vodka
- 4 martini glasses (or if you’re in a student house with no glassware, 4 mugs)
- (Optional) sprinkling of cocoa powder
- (Optional) chocolate shavings
- Melt chocolate in a microwave or in a heatproof bowl over simmering water
- Dip four martini glasses into the melted chocolate, ensuring that the chocolate drips inside the glass
- Let the glasses set in the fridge or freezer for 10 minutes
- Combine all the ingredients together in a cocktail shaker (or any sealed container) and shake it!
- Pour the drinks into the glasses, decorate with cocoa powder and/or chocolate shavings (optional), and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Lizzie Kamenetzky via Sainsbury’s Magazine.
Posh Spice – Raspberry Prosecco
“Nothing screams Victoria Beckham more than some berry bubbly”
You will need (for one serving):
- 15ml Chambord raspberry liqueur (can be found at Tesco’s for £8)
- 10ml pink gin (bonus points if you can find a glittery one)
- 100ml prosecco
- Some blueberries or raspberries (or both!) to float on top
- Pour the raspberry liqueur and pink gin into a champagne flute (or a student’s equivalent will do)
- Top up with the prosecco
- Add a few berries in for an extra bit of posh spice
Ginger Spice – Apple & Ginger Spritzer
Do you have that one housemate or friend who finds everything (yes, even black pepper) spicy? This apple and ginger wine spritzer might change their mind! The warm kick of the ginger ale perfectly complements the sweet apple juice, and we can assure you that some people will want seconds. You might even have to make more!
You will need (for four servings):
- 1 cup Apple juice
- 1 cup Ginger ale/ginger beer
- 1.5-2 cups White wine
- (Optional) apple slices for garnish
- Ice cubes
- Large jug or serving vessel
- Pour apple juice and white wine into a large jug
- Add ice and swirl in ginger beer with a spoon
- Serve immediately
Recipe adapted from Alida Ryder via Simply Delicious.
Scary Spice – A Tequila Sunrise Twist
You will need: (for one serving)
- 50ml tequila
- A splash of agave syrup (or plain old honey will do)
- A squirt of lime juice
- 60ml pink grapefruit juice
- Before you even start with making the cocktail, decorate your glass by dipping the rim in water or lime juice, then dipping it into a plate of salt to coat the rim.
- If you have a cocktail shaker, then this is the time to bring it out – add all the ingredients apart from the lemonade into the shaker with some ice, and shake shake shake! (If you don’t own one, we suggest a quick trip to Sainsbury’s or just ignoring that bit and pouring your ingredients into your glass.)
- Top up your glass with some lemonade and if you’re feeling really bougie, garnish with a slice of grapefruit.
Baby Spice – Strawberry Mojito Mocktail
And last but not least, we have ‘Baby Spice’ – a sweet yet refreshing virgin strawberry mojito. This one’s for the lightweights in the household, but everyone else will also love them. The vibrant pink hues from the fresh strawberries make this drink perfect for Galentine’s day!
You will need:
- Limes (enough to make 1/8 to ¼ cup of lime juice)
- Mint leaves
- Sprite or 7-UP
- Place strawberries and mint leaves in a pitcher.
- Using a spoon (or any other utensil), mash the strawberries and mint leaves to extract their juices – this process is called ‘muddling’
- Slice the limes in half and start juicing
- Once the strawberries and mint leaves are muddled, pour your lime juice and sprite or 7-UP into the pitcher
- Add ice as desired, serve in glasses (or just some straws in the pitcher), and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from here.
Featured image via Unsplash
Illustrations included in article by Alex McLaren