Human remains found in search for missing Durham alumna

Human remains have been found in the search for the missing Durham alumna Sarah Everard, who disappeared in south London on 3rd March 2021, a week ago today.

The remains, which were found in woodland near Ashford, Kent, have not been identified yet. Searches are therefore continuing in the area between south London and Kent. Ms. Everard’s family has been updated about this development in the investigation.

Dame Cressida, the Met Commissioner, said: “We have found, very sadly, what appears to be human remains.”

The 33-year-old Ms Everard has been missing for a week, after not having returned home from when walking back from a friend’s house in Clapham. Police have also arrested a serving Met Officer in connection with her disappearance on 9th March 2021, as well as one other woman believed to have assisted him.

Ms. Everard graduated with a degree in Geography from St. Cuthbert’s Society in 2008 and was working as a marketing executive in London at the time of her disappearance.

She was last seen leaving an address in Clapham, walking back to her home in Brixton.

Women living in the area where Everard vanished have been warned by police to be extra vigilant. 

The case has also received coverage from foreign media, notably the German newspaper Der Spiegel.

Image: Missing People