First Durham Fringe Festival to be held in July

Durham City will have its first own Fringe Festival this year, taking place from 28 July to 1 August 2021.

The Festival will include over 30 different shows from acts across North East England and beyond, being performed at a variety of venues in Durham. Performers will be announced soon according to the organisers of the Festival.

Among these venues are Durham Market Place, Fabios Bar, The City Theatre, The Assembly Rooms, and the gardens of St Chad’s College.

“After months of lockdown, we all thought it would be great to get together and enjoy some home-grown entertainment and give trade in the City a boost too”

-Bill Moir, Festival Director

The first event will be a pop-up musical entertainment from Youth Connections Theatre Company in Durham Market Place on Monday 31 May, starting at 1pm.

The idea for the event comes from local paediatrician Stephen Cronin and three of his friends, who have all wanted to contribute to community arts and have thus formed Community Interest Company (CIC) to ensure continued running of the Fringe in the future. They have been able to organise the event in collaboration with Durham Markets, the University Theatre, and Durham School.

Bill Moir, former Deputy Mayor of Durham City and one of the Directors for the Festival, has said: “After months of lockdown, we all thought it would be great to get together and enjoy some home-grown entertainment and give trade in the City a boost too”.

The organisers are also calling for volunteers for tasks such as technical assistance, welcoming visitors, or being runners for productions. Volunteers can sign up at this link.

Fringe Festivals are theatre and performing arts festivals which take place all over the world, the most well-known being the Edinburgh Fringe which takes place annually in August.

Image credits: