Summer in the City Festival returns for 2021

Durham University has announced that the Summer in the City Festival, which celebrates theatre, music, and art, will return in both a physical and a virtual format for summer 2021.

Over the summer, a variety of events will take place in Durham as part of Summer in the City. They include exhibitions, performances, and do-it-yourself activities, all in line with current Covid-19 guidelines.

Among the highlights, visitors can expect to see ’The Tent’, a pop-up outdoor music and performance venue beside the river, and performances and exhibitions taking place in the City’s Assembly Rooms. Theatre performances will notably feature Pirates of Penzance, 1984, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

A number of concerts are set to take place: among them are the Music Durham Cathedral Concert and performance by Durham University Orchestral Society with Sir Thomas Allen at the Sage, Gateshead.

An online exhibition will be held for the Student Art Prize. Further activities include an online community art club, interactive art walks, family do-at-home theatre, and art and crafts workshops.

“After taking the festival completely online last year, this time Summer in the City is getting into the festival spirit through a programme of both in-person and virtual events.”

– Liz Waller, director of library and collections

Jeremy Cook, Pro-Vice Chancellor of Durham University, said: “We have some fantastically talented student actors, musicians, technicians and artists at Durham University and we’re proud of the contribution they make to Durham’s cultural life. The programme is diverse and exciting, so I’d encourage everyone to see how they can get involved.”

The Summer in the City Festival first took place in 2019 and attracted over 19,000 visitors throughout the month of June.

The full programme can be viewed on the Summer in the City website.

Image: Alix Collingwood-Swinburn (Curator, Contemporary Art)