Serving Met officer arrested over disappearance of former Durham student

A serving Metropolitan Police officer has been arrested in connection with the disappearance of former Durham student, Sarah Everard, in Brixton in South London last week. 

Ms Everard, a 33-year-old marketing executive, and 2008 BA Geography graduate from St. Cuthbert’s Society, Durham, went missing on the night of Wednesday 3rd March on her way home from a friend’s house in Clapham. Ms Everard was walking to Brixton in South London when she disappeared. Her friends notified the police on Thursday when they were unable to get in contact with her. 

The officer was arrested at an address in Kent on Tuesday, along with one other woman who was arrested on suspicion of assisting the officer. Both individuals have been taken into custody in a London police station.

Ms Everard was last seen on Poynders Road, and was caught on camera walking alone from the junction at Cavendish Road in the direction of Tulse Hill, south of Brixton.

The Met has released new images of Everard and said the search for her is continuing “at pace”.

Women living in the area where Everard vanished have been warned by police to be extra vigilant. 

Friends have said she was looking forward to starting a new job, and can think of no reason she would have been out of contact. 

Ms Everard’s friend Rose Woollard told BBC news: “Sarah and I met many years ago whilst studying together at Durham University. She has always been an exceptional friend, dropping everything to be there to support her friends, whenever they need her.”

Assistant commissioner Nick Ephgrave said: “The arrest this evening is a serious and significant development. We will continue to work with all speed on this investigation but the fact that the arrested man is a serving Metropolitan police officer is both shocking and deeply disturbing.

“I understand there will be significant public concern but it is essential that the investigative team are given the time and space to continue their work.”

DCI Katherine Goodwin said: “This is a significant development in our inquiry. This is a fast-moving investigation and we are doing everything we can to find Sarah.

“We have seen an overwhelming response from the public and I repeat my request for anyone with information that may be relevant to come forward, no matter how insignificant it may seem.”

Image: Missing People

*Correction: This article previously stated that Ms Everard was a member of University College. It has been amended to reflect that she attended St Cuthbert’s Society during her time at Durham University. We apologise for this error and are happy to make this clear.