Durham Markets to hold May extravaganza

Durham Markets 600x400By James Poole 

Durham Markets is due to hold three additional markets this month in a bid to bring new traders and extra footfall to Durham city centre.

The additional markets have been organised as part of the national ‘Love Your Local Market’ campaign and will take place across three weekends in May.

The first market, due to take place this Sunday, will give over twenty young entrepreneurs aged between 16 and 26 the opportunity to showcase their business idea to the public.

The following Sunday will see Durham Markets invite over 30 businesses to trade in Durham for the first time to celebrate ‘Love Your Local Market Day’.

Finally, on Sunday 25 and Monday 26 May, stalls will share the Market Place with World War II living history enactors, period entertainment and military vehicles.

The Managing Director of Durham Markets, Colin Wilkes, said:

“Durham Market Place has a unique atmosphere and reputation, so it’s hardly surprising that we have traders from across the North East and beyond keen to take their first ever stall here.

“The enthusiasm for these markets proves that markets are alive and well in the UK, and are the ideal outlet for many businesses to sell their products.”

“Last year’s Youth Market was a huge success, giving young people the ideal opportunity to present their business or business idea to a buying public, and we already have some unique and exciting stalls lined up for this year.”

More information about the stalls due to trade at each event will be advertised nearer the time on the Durham Markets website.

The ‘Love Your Local Market’ campaign has been organised by the National Association of British Market Authorities and will see similar market events take place in towns and cities across the UK.

Brandon Lewis, Minister for Local Government and Planning, said:

“Britain has a proud tradition of markets that have long been a force for good for the local economy.

“Not only do markets offer everyday staples to the weird and wonderful, they offer vibrancy and community spirit that the internet and out-of-town retail centres can’t.”

Durham Markets will charge stallholders £20 per stall at the Durham Youth Market event whilst businesses attending ‘Love Your Local Market Day’ will be charged £25 per stall.

Each market will be open free of charge to the public between 11am and 4pm.

Image: Durham Markets