Durham Castle in light switch-off for Earth Hour

Durham Castle 600x400By

Durham Castle joined the Eiffel Tower and Empire State Building in switching off exterior lighting for one hour as part of the international Earth Hour event last Saturday.

Between 8:30pm and 9:30pm the exterior lights surrounding Durham Castle were switched off, darkening the usually bright skyline of Durham City.

Earth Hour, which is organised by the World Wildlife Foundation (WWF), aims to encourage the public to reduce their carbon footprint and saw an estimated 10 million Britons take part.

This year’s switch-off preceded the launch of a report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) that described the effects of climate change as “severe, pervasive and irreversible”.

The University’s participation in Earth Hour has now reached its sixth year and is part of a public pledge made in 2008 to reduce carbon emissions by 30% by August 2014.

Tara Duncan, Durham University’s Sustainability Manager, said:

“Being part of Earth Hour brings everyone together in a united action helping to demonstrate that small actions by the masses can make a difference.”

An additional Earth Hour was held between 3pm and 4pm on Friday 28th March after it emerged that most staff would not be at work at 8:30pm on a Saturday.

Photograph: allyhook on Flickr