Durham hosts Nightline conference but misses out on awards

Durham Nightline LogoBy

Durham University hosted the annual Nightline Association conference at Collingwood College last weekend but failed to win any awards, despite being nominated in four different categories.

Durham Nightline was nominated for ‘Nightline of the Year’, ‘Most Improved Nightline’, ‘Best Volunteer Support’ and ‘Most Supportive University/Union’.

Instead, Warwick Nightline was declared ‘Nightline of the Year’ and Bristol Nightline won ‘Most Improved Nightline’, whilst St Andrews took “Best Volunteer Support’ and Keele University won ‘Most Supportive University/Union’.

All award winners were shortlisted and chosen by the trustees of the charity based on submissions from either the Nightline committees or individuals.

A spokesperson for Durham Nightline said:

“Despite hoping to win at least one award at the awards ceremony, we are not disappointed as to have been shortlisted for four awards shows us how much we have improved and how much we continue to grow as a service.”

The conference, attended by 100 volunteers from 32 Nightline branches, saw the association develop a policy book designed to ensure a more consistent and professional service is delivered across the UK.

In addition, delegates took part in training workshops designed to help volunteers run, develop and improve their Nightline services.

The association also set up a ‘PostSecret’ service for students at Durham.

Dan Green, Head of the Nightline Association’s events Team said:

“The event was a huge success.

“We had more Nightlines attending than ever before and everything ran extremely smoothly, thanks to the enormous hard work of the volunteers involved.”

The University’s Pro-Vice Chancellor, Professor Graham Towl, said:

“We were delighted to host the annual Nightline Association conference and we were very pleased to see that the Durham Nightline branch was nominated for four awards.

“The professionalism of all involved makes a major contribution to the well-being of students across the UK.

“Student volunteers also benefit in terms of their skill development which may very well improve their employability in addition to providing a valuable service for fellow students.”

Photograph: Durham Nightline