Durham defeats Leicester in first round of University Challenge

Durham University’s team has won their first match in this year’s University Challenge. The team scored 180 points against Leicester University, who scored 125 points.

The team comprises Harry Regan (Liberal Arts, St John’s College), Thomas Banbury (History, Van Mildert College), Biology student, Thomas Wilkening (Biosciences, Van Mildert College) and team captain Holly Parkinson (Physics, Van Mildert College).

The two teams were tested on topics including areas of outstanding natural beauty, German words used in the English language, and flags featuring depictions of the sun.

Durham performed strongly in the music round, where they were asked to identify the names of composers of pieces of classical music, but struggled when faced with a set of questions relating to wallpaper. 

Durham’s strong performance means they will automatically go through to the quarter-finals, where they will need to win two matches in the round to progress to the semi-finals.

Last year, Durham reached the semi-finals, but were defeated by Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.

Since it first aired in 1962, University Challenge has been won by Durham on two occasions – first in 1977, and again in 2000.

Image: BBC