Library supports local charities for Christmas

The Bill Bryson Library has launched its annual Christmas Wish Tree initiative, which supports local charities.

Staff and students are being invited to donate an amount of their choice to the charities Children North East, who work with children and young people in their families, schools and communities, and REfUSE, a community café in Chester-le-Street, who intercept food before it becomes waste and use it to make food to serve.

Library users can scan the QR codes for the donation pages of the two charities on the Christmas Wish Tree, which is located on Level 2 of the Bill Bryson Library, until 18 December. The QR codes are also available on post- ers displayed across colleges.

So far, just over £480 has been raised for the two charities. £192 has been raised for Children North East, and £289 for REfUSE.

The library runs the Christmas Wish Tree initiative every year. Usually, gift tags are placed on the Christmas tree, and University members can participate by buying the item on the gift tag they choose and leaving it wrapped under the Christmas Wish Tree. The items are then donated to the chosen charities.

In the past the initiative has supported charities such as Rainbow Trust, Action Foundation and St Cuthbert’s Hospice, as well as DASH and Age UK County Durham in 2018.

On their website, the University commented: “Due to Covid-19 restrictions, our Christmas Wish Tree will be a little different this year but will still provide much-needed support to two local charities, especially during these uncertain times.”