Cancelled music events to cost Durham £700,000

The closure of three arts and music venues in the city of Durham due to the coronavirus pandemic could lead to £735,000 worth of losses, according to events firm Eventopedia.

The venues include: The Old CInema Laundrette, Gala Theatre and Durham Cathedral. The figure factors in the continued losses not just from ticket sales but combined revenues from other sources of income such as meals and alcohol sales.

Due to only three venues being taken into account, the true cost is likely to be far higher.

Cancelling a single event at the cathedral alone costs £20,000 to the local economy. This in North East England has already experienced economic losses due to the closure of arts venues. The Sage Gateshead, Utilita Arena and the o2 Academy have all also been forced to close, amounting to losses of £13,023,995.

The owners of The Old Cinema Laundrette spoke to The Northern Echo about the impact of coronavirus on their business:

“The furlough scheme has been very helpful in retaining staff and have thankfully not had to make any staff redundant.”

“We remain positive that when the vaccine is rolled out and everyone becomes more confident about venturing out that the gigs will return and we can continue up to bring local, national and internationally acclaimed artists to the Old Cinema Launderette.”

“We would very much like to thank existing and new customers for supporting Old Cinema Launderette during these unprecedented times.”

The figures come after news Durham city is facing second worst rate of shop closures in the entire country as a result of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

The area remains the 42nd worst affected region in the country in terms of infections, although this number is falling rapidly.