Durham City Run Festival cancelled

The Durham City Run Festival, which was due to take place in October, has been cancelled due to uncertainty over the Covid-19 pandemic, organisers have announced.

The festival, which is organised by Events of the North, in partnership with Durham University and Durham County Council, had already been postponed from July to October due to the pandemic, but has now been cancelled outright until 2021.

Durham City Run Festival usually takes place annually in July, and features various events including a 5K, a 10K, and ‘Families on Track’ which allows families to take part in a 10K race together, and ‘Run Like A Legend’, a mile distance race.

A virtual festival took place in July as a replacement for this year’s festival where runners could sign up to run a solo distance, and a portion of their entry fees were donated to local charity, St Cuthbert’s Hospice, which the festival’s founder, Steve Cram, described as a “great success”.

Steve Cram said: “We are really sorry to have to take another difficult decision and cancel the re-arranged Durham City Run Festival.

“Although the gradual return of some activities gave us hope, there is still too much uncertainty around mass participation events to enable us to be 100% confident that we can deliver a safe event in the manner that everyone would desire.”

However, Councillor Joy Allen, reassured runners that Durham County Council looks forward to “welcoming runners back to Durham city next year”.

Runners who were booked to take part in the festival in October can have their entries automatically deferred until 2021.

Image: Graham Hogg via Creative Commons