Durham University Botanic Garden to reopen in January

Durham University will open the grounds of its Botanic Garden to the public on 11th January.

This ends a nine month closure due to the Covid-19 pandemic. However, University students and staff have been able to visit the garden since September.

The Botanic Garden will be open to the public Monday to Friday, 10am-2:30pm. University students and staff will be able to access the Garden from 9am-3:30pm on weekdays. 

Entry will be free until the end of March

To thank the public for their continuing support during the pandemic, entry will be free until the end of March. 

The Visitor Centre toilet facilities, greenhouses and bird hide will remain closed. 

“Visitors can look forward to plenty to explore and enjoy”

Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes, the Head Gardener, said: “We’re very excited to be welcoming visitors back to the Botanic Garden from January. We’ve been hard at work in the nine months since we closed, so visitors can look forward to plenty to explore and enjoy.”

The University’s first Botanic Garden, which was created primarily for teaching and research, opened in 1925. It has been on its current site since 1970. A Visitor Centre was added in 1988.

The Garden, which is owned by Durham University, covers 24 acres and usually attracts around 80,000 visitors per year.

Image: Durham University via Flickr