University to run vaccination and booster clinics

Durham University will run walk-in Vaccination and booster clinics on the 26th and 27th of January. 

These sessions will be open to all eligible staff and students and will offer first and second doses of the vaccine and booster shots. Fourth doses will also be available for people who have an invite from their GP or practice. 

On Wednesday the 26th the clinic will run between 13:00 to 17:00 at the Teaching and Learning Centre in room TLC117 and on Thursday the 27th the clinic will run between 13:30 and 17:00 in the Vane Tempest Room in Durham Students union.

“We all have a responsibility to help slow the transmission of Covid-19”

van mildert college via instagram

On Instagram Van Mildert College urged all students to get their vaccine saying “We all have a responsibility to help slow the transmission of Covid-19. Having your vaccines and booster is one of the best ways of doing this”

These clinics come at a time when Covid-19 cases are rising among the University’s students with the number of positive LFTs peaking at 140 on Thursday last week, though this has now reduced, with only 87 positive tests last Sunday. 

Vaccine uptake is high in County Durham however, with 86% of people having their first dose of the vaccine, 80% having their second and 64% having their booster, with booster uptake being in line with the national average. 

Only 36% of 18-24 year olds have had their booster shot

However among 18-24 vaccine uptake is lower. While 75% of young people nationally have received their first dose of the vaccine, uptake has not been as good for second doses and boosters. Only 67% of 18-24 year olds have had their second jab, with even fewer people having their booster shot at 36%. 

Image Credit: