Mary’s formal cancelled due to isolating students

A St. Mary’s College formal dinner, scheduled for this evening, has been cancelled due to the number of isolating students in college putting pressure on catering staff.

An email from Professor Maggi Dawn, Principal at St Mary’s, explained that the kitchen staff had to provide three meals a day in the Dining Hall alongside preparing a large number of individually packaged meals for delivery to those who are in isolation due to Covid-19.

“I know you will understand that we must put priority on supplying meals to those who are in isolation.”

Professor Maggi DAWN, Principal of St Mary’s

“There are simply not enough hours in the day to cover three daily meals, several cartloads of individually packaged meals, and a College Formal.”

The email continued: “I know you will understand that we must put priority on supplying meals to those who are in isolation.”

Professor Dawn was hopeful that no more events would have to be cancelled, as the number of students testing positive with Covid-19 reduces.

87 students tested positive with Covid-19 on Sunday, down from 142 at the peak

Positive Covid-19 LFTs or PCRs among students peaked at 142 cases last week and are now declining, with 87 testing positive on Sunday.

Professor Dawn expressed her thanks to the catering staff “who are working long hours to keep us all well fed”, as well as thanking the staff, representatives of the SCR, MCR, and JCR who were assisting with plans for the formal for their patience.

“I’m sorry that the first message of the week is less than upbeat, but thanks all for hanging together while we continue to navigate the ups and downs of the pandemic.”

Donate to Palatinate