Advertising complaint upheld against Durham student business

The Advertising Standards Authority has ruled against ‘The Chop Shop’, a business which sells alcohol drinking apparatus.

The ASA has told ‘The Chop Shop’ that they must ensure that future marketing communications were prepared in a socially responsible manner and did not feature the excessive consumption and irresponsible serving of alcohol. They were also told that they must ensure their ads did not feature people who were or appeared to be under 25 years of age.

One advert showed a man drinking two bottles of wine in one go

The business was established by two Durham students and has advertised within Durham City.

City of Durham Parish Council raised complaints over the content of the website www.chopshoptm.com, as well as three Instagram adverts. One advert showed a video of a man using a snorkel device to drink two bottles of wine in one go. Another showed a group of people using beer funnels to consume large quantities of beer.

The ASA agreed that the adverts showed individuals who were, or seemed to be, under the age of 25, and therefore concluded that they breached the Code. The Committee of Advertising Practice Code states that people shown drinking or playing a significant role must neither be, nor seem to be, under 25 years of age.

The CAP Code states that marketing communications must be socially responsible and not contain anything that was likely to lead people to adopt styles of drinking that were unwise, including encouraging excessive drinking. The APA agreed that “the ads encouraged excessive and irresponsible consumption of alcohol”.

The APA ruled that “The ads must not appear again in their current form”.

Image by

One thought on “Advertising complaint upheld against Durham student business

• Perhaps the entrepreneurs could arrange for their stickers to be removed from lampposts, bus stops and front doors all over our once fine city.