Durham University Hockey Club beat Scotland’s U21 men’s and women’s teams

Durham University Hockey Club’s (DUHC) men’s and women’s 1st teams recently took two wins against Scotland’s under 21s in challenge matches at Peffermill. The men’s and women’s 1st teams took a 5-1 and 1-0 victory respectively in the first set of matches, with 2-1 and 4-0 in the second games. 

In the first match for the men’s team, Durham scored two goals in the first three minutes against a slower Scottish side who were unable to convert three corners into goals. 

The Durham team continued their dominance in the second quarter of the match, widening their lead to 3-0 at half-time. 

In the second half, Scotland managed to score a singular goal however, this was not enough against the dominant Durham side who ended the match 5-1.  

This was not enough against the dominant Durham side

The first match for the Durham women’s 1st team was admittedly tighter. Scotland was defeated by a late goal from the Durham team which left the match at 1-0. Opportunities for Scotland to score during the match were thwarted by a strong Durham defence. 

As for the second set of matches, two wins also awaited Durham.  

In the women’s second game, the team increased their dominance after a tight 1-0 1st match with a 4-0 win. The team started strong with an early goal which allowed them to dominate the match in a clinical fashion, converting chances into goals and continuing their strong defence from game one. 

The men’s team also followed up their dominant 5-1 win with a 2-1 second match victory. The team took control in the second quarter of the match with a penalty corner that left the score at 1-0. 

Two minutes into the second half, the team scored again with a penalty stroke which left the match at 2-0. 

Scotland managed to pull themselves back into the game and scored five minutes later but Durham held out for the win, ending the match at 2-1. 

“The boys put in a fantastic shift on Saturday and Sunday against a well organised junior international team”

Alec Makin

The highlight of the weekend from the men’s team came from Max Garner a 1st year, South College student who grabbed an impressive 3 goals over the course of the 2 games. 

DUHC captain Alec Makin said “The boys put in a fantastic shift on both Saturday and Sunday against a well organised junior international team. With only a few weeks to go until the season restarts for us, it is important to shake off any rustiness from the Christmas break and these friendlies help hugely with our preparation for the second half of the season”.

Image: Team Durham