Tokyo 2020: Team GB week two medal roundup

With the Tokyo 2020 Olympic games now at a close, Team GB finishing in 4th place behind the USA, China, and Japan with a medal count matching that of London 2012 at 65, I decided to round up all the Team GB medal-winning action that you may have missed. 

In the first week of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic games Team GB achieved a total of 24 medals.

And in the second week (plus two additional days) Team GB achieved a further whopping 41 medals, the details of which, you can find below.

Gold:

Adam Peaty, James Guy, Anna Hopkin, Kathleen Dawson, 4×100 mixed medley relay: On Day 8 of the Olympic games, Team GB’s swimming squad reached further heights with a gold medal in the inaugural 4×100 mixed medley relay. Dominating from the heats and winning with a record time of 3:37.58, breaking their own previous record. Taking GB swimming’s gold medal count to four, the best in 113 years. 

Jess Learmonth, Jonny Brownlee, Georgia Taylor-Brown, Alex Yee, triathlon, mixed team relay: Also on Day 8 of the games and in another inaugural event, the mixed triathlon team took gold following two silver medal wins from team members Alex Yee and Georgia-Taylor Brown the week prior. With Brownlee taking his first gold in his third Olympic games and Learmonth Commonwealth silver medallist taking her first Olympic medal.

Max Whitlock, artistic gymnastics, men’s pommel: Defending Olympic champion 28-year-old Max Whitlock claimed gold in a stunning performance which earned a massive score of 15.583 beating out Taipei’s Lee Chih-kai and Japan’s Kazuma Kaya to earn his sixth Olympic medal, three of which are gold from the past three games. Team GB labelling Whitlock as “the greatest gymnast this country has ever produced”. 

Charlotte Worthington, women’s BMX freestyle: Worthington took the first-ever BMX Freestyle Olympic gold medal after pulling off a backflip 360 on her second run, beating out Team USA’s three-time world champion Hannah Roberts in a shock victory. 

Laura Collett, Tom McEwen and Oliver Townend, equestrian, eventing team: On Day 10 of the games the equestrian eventing team took Team GB’s first team eventing gold in 49 years since Munich 1972, beating out Australia and France. 

Giles Scott, sailing, men’s Finn class: On Day 11 Scott claimed gold in the sailing men’s Finn class, despite a rocky start. Claiming his second Olympic gold medal, retaining his Rio 2016 title and Team GB’s dominance, who have won every gold since 2000. 

Dylan Fletcher and Stuart Bithell, sailing, men’s 49er: Also in the men’s sailing, Fletcher and Bithell claimed gold in a dramatic race in which the pair crossed the finish line just centimetres ahead of silver medallists Germany to claim Team GB’s second sailing gold. 

Ben Maher, equestrian, showjumping individual: On Day 12, Ben Maher claimed a further GB equestrian medal equalling their London 2012 record, and the second medal of his career, in the men’s showjumping individual category after a dramatic six-horse jump-off. Beating Sweden’s Peder Fredricson by seventeenth-hundredths of a second, with the Netherland’s Maikel van der Vleuten in third. 

Hannah Mills and Eilidh McIntyre, sailing, women’s 470 class: On Day 14 of the games, Mills and McIntyre claimed a further GB sailing gold in the women’s 470 class. Mills becoming GB’s most successful female Olympic sailor ever with a gold medal from Rio and silver in London, with McIntyre debuting at Tokyo 2020. 

Jason Kenny claimed a sensational 7th career gold medal to become Britain’s most decorated Olympian ahead of fellow cyclists Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins

Matt Walls, track cycling, men’s omnium: On the track Walls then claimed GB’s first track cycling medal of the games and the 50th medal for GB overall, a gold in the men’s omnium on his Olympic debut. The European champion earned 153 points placing him 24 ahead of New Zealand’s Campbell Stewart on 129 and defending champion Italian Elia Viviani with 124.

Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald, track cycling, women’s Madison: The next track cycling gold came courtesy of Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald in the women’s Madison. Kenny made history to become the first GB Olympian to hold three gold medals at different games and equalled Charlotte Dujardin’s record to become jointly the most decorated British female Olympians.

Kate French, women’s modern pentathlon: Over in the pentathlon, Kate French claimed gold, becoming Britain’s second Olympic champion since Stephanie Cook’s win in the inaugural event in 2000. French gloriously stormed from last in the fifth and final event in a dominant fashion to claim gold, beating out Lithuania’s Laura Asadauskaitė and Hungary’s Sarolta Kovács. 

Joe Choong, men’s modern pentathlon: Also, in the pentathlon, Joe Choong claimed gold, less than 24 hours after French. Becoming Britain’s first-ever champion in the male category and earning Team GB’s 20th gold medal of the games. 

Galal Yafai, boxing, men’s flyweight: On the penultimate day of the games, Galal Yafai claimed the first of two GB boxing gold’s in the men’s flyweight category after an impressive 4-1 win over the Philippines’ Carlo Paalam. 

Lauren Price, boxing, women’s middleweight: GB’s second boxing gold was delivered by Lauren Price on the final day of the games after impressively defeating China’s Li Qian 5-0. 

Jason Kenny, men’s Keirin: Also, on the final day of the games, GB’s Jason Kenny sensationally claimed his 7th career gold to become Britain’s most decorated Olympian ahead of fellow cyclists Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins on 7 and 8 medals respectively. He finished 0.763 seconds ahead of Malaysian silver medallist Azizulhasni Awang and Dutch reigning Olympic champion Harrie Lavreysen, who claimed bronze. 

Silver:

Luke Greenbank, Duncan Scott, James Guy, Adam Peaty, swimming, men’s 4x100metres medley relay: On Day 8 more success was waiting in the pool for Team GB. The 4×1000 meters medley relay swimming team consisting of Luke Greenbank, Duncan Scott, James Guy and Adam Peaty claiming silver. The team finished 0.73 seconds behind Team USA, who set a world record time of 3:26.78. Scott became the first athlete to win four medals in the same sport at a single Olympic games and the swimming team furthered their incredible 113-year record-beating success as a whole. 

Tom McEwen, equestrian, eventing individual: On Day 10, Tom McEwen earned a second Tokyo 2020 Olympic medal following the team equestrian gold after a highly impressive faultless round, finishing behind Germany’s Julia Krajewski.

Emily Campbell, weightlifting, women’s +87kg: Also on Day 10, Emily Campbell made history becoming the first British woman to win an Olympic weightlifting medal, lifting a total of 283kg, finishing behind China’s Li Wenwen, who lifted an Olympic record of 320kg.

John Gimson and Anna Burnet, sailing, mixed Nacra 17 class: On day 11, John Gimson and Anna Burnet claimed a further sailing medal in the mixed Nacra 17 class on their Olympic debut, coming second to Italy’s Caterina Banti and Ruggero Tita. 

Emily Campbell made history becoming the first British woman to win an Olympic weightlifting medal

Katie Archibald, Laura Kenny, Neah Evans, Josie Knight, Elinor Barker, cycling, women’s team pursuit: Further success in track cycling came in the women’s team pursuit with Katie Archibald, Laura Kenny, Neah Evans, Josie Knight, and Elinor Barker earning silver. They lost out to a shock success from the German team who broke the world record time on three occasions.

Jack Carlin, Ryan Owens, Jason Kenny, cycling, men’s team sprint: Also in the velodrome, Jack Carlin, Ryan Owens, Jason Kenny claimed silver in the men’s team sprint just moments after Kenny and Archibald’s gold. The team came second to an ever-impressive Netherland’s team who won with an Olympic record time of 41.369.

Pat McCormack, boxing, men’s welterweight: On Day 11, Pat McCormack claimed silver after a 5 – 0 defeat to Cuba’s Roniel Iglesias. 

Keely Hodgkinson, athletics, women’s 800 metres: Also on Day 11, 19-year-old Keely Hodgkinson claimed silver on her Olympic debut, setting a new British record time of 1:55.88, beating Kelly Holmes’s previous record from 1995, coming second to team USA’s Athing Mu took who crossed the line in a time of 1:55.21.

Ben Whittaker, boxing, light-heavyweight: Further boxing success came on Day 12 with GB’s Ben Whittaker claiming silver after a 4-1 defeat to Cuba’s Arlen Lopez in the light-heavyweight category. 

CJ Ujah, Zharnel Hughes, Richard Kilty, Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake, athletics, men’s 4x100m relay: GB’s athletics’ success continued on Day 14 with a silver medal win in the nail-biting men’s 4x100m relay final. Italy crossed the line 0.01 seconds ahead of the GB team consisting of J Ujah, Zharnel Hughes, Richard Kilty and Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake. 

Laura Muir, athletics, women’s 1500 metres: also, on the 14th day of the games, Laura Muir claimed silver in the women’s 1500 meters, finishing behind Kenya’s Faith Kipyegon who broke the Olympic record. Muir herself finished in a time of 54.50 seconds, breaking her own previous British record. 

Ethan Hayter, Matt Walls, track cycling, men’s Madison: On the penultimate day of the 2020 games Ethan Hayter and Matt Walls continued GB’s track cycling success, earning a silver medal behind reigning Olympic champions Denmark. 

Bronze:

Emma Wilson, sailing, women’s windsurfing RS:X: On day eight of the games, Emma Wilson, the youngest member of the sailing team, claimed bronze in the women’s windsurfing RS:X, 25 years after her mother appeared at the Olympic games also in windsurfing, when she finished seventh in Atlanta. 

Karriss Artingstall, boxing, women’s featherweight: Beginning GB’s boxing success was Karriss Artingstall on Day 8, earning silver in a close 3-2 final to Japan’s Sena Irie.

Declan Brooks, cycling, men’s BMX freestyle: GB’s spectacular BMX success was continued by Declan Brooks on Day 9. Brooks achieved bronze after executing a double backflip and completed the GB BMX medal sweep in which GB achieved a medal in each BMX event.

Jack Laugher, diving, men’s 3m springboard: Further success in diving was achieved by Jack Laugher in the 3m springboard final following a silver medal win in Rio 2016. The final was a display of Chinese mastery with the gold and silver medals going to Xie Siyi and Wang Zongyuan. 

Sky Brown, skateboarding, women’s park: On the 11th day of the games, 13-year-old Sky Brown made history becoming Britain’s youngest medallist in the women’s park skateboarding. Coming third to equally young competitors, 12-year-old Kokona Hiraki in second and 19-year-old Sakura Yosozumi claiming gold, an impressive sweep for the Japanese. Brown said after her bronze medal win that she hopes to inspire more young girls to take up skateboarding. 

Frazer Clarke, boxing, men’s super-heavyweight: GB boxer Frazer Clarke achieved yet another boxing medal for Team GB in the men’s super-heavyweight category, losing his semi-final fight to Uzbekistan’s Bakhodir after suffering cuts to his eyes in a previous fight. Clarke was delighted with the result. 

On the 11th day of the games Sky Brown made history becoming Britain’s youngest Olympic medallist in the women’s park skateboarding

Liam Heath, canoeing, men’s K1 200m: 36-year-old Liam Heath achieved bronze in the men’s K1 200m canoeing event to become GB’s most successful canoeist, after winning medals at three consecutive Olympic games with four podium appearances.

Holly Bradshaw, athletics, women’s pole vault: On the 13th day of the games, Holly Bradshaw claimed GB’s first-ever pole vault medal after clearing 4.85m, with the USA’s Katie Nageotte taking gold and the ROC’s Anzhelika Sidorova taking silver. 

Women’s Hockey Team (Izzy Petter, Leah Wilkinson, Ellie Rayer, Susannah Townsend, Giselle Ansley, Hollie Webb, Fiona Crackles, Sarah Robertson, Hannah Martin, Anna Toman, Maddie Hinch, Laura Unsworth, Sarah Jones, Lily Owsley, Shona McCallin, and Grace Balsdon): On the 14th day of the games the Team GB women’s hockey squad, which includes current Durham student Fiona Crackles, achieved Olympic bronze after a thrilling penalty shootout. The winning penalty came from Balsdon. 

Jack Carlin, track cycling, men’s sprint: Further GB track cycling success came from Scottish cyclist Jack Carlin who achieved bronze in the men’s sprint, becoming a double Olympic medallist after his silver medal win in the men’s team sprint. 

Asha Philip, Imani Lansiquot, Dina Asher-Smith, Daryll Neita, athletics, women’s 4x100m relay: Also, on the 14th day of the games, GB’s women’s 4x100m relay team achieved bronze. They followed Jamaica in gold with the second-fastest time in history and a national record of 41.02 and, Team USA in silver.

Tom Daley, diving, men’s 10m platform: On the penultimate day of the games, Daley delivered once again, achieving a bronze medal in the men’s 10m platform diving final, following yet another Chinese masterclass with diver’s Cao Yuan and Yang Jian taking gold and silver respectively. This bronze, the fourth medal of Daley’s career, followed a gold medal win with Matty Lee in the men’s 10m platform synchronised diving final at Tokyo 2020 and, a bronze medal win at both Rio 2016 and London 2012. 

Josh Kerr, athletics, men’s 1500m: The final medal to cover came courtesy of Josh Kerr in the men’s 1500m final. Crossing the line in a personal best time of 3:29.05, behind Norway’s Jakob Ingebrigtsen and Timothy Cheruiyot from Kenya. 

Image: France Olympique via Flickr