Durham University commits to helping victims of Storm Arwen

Durham University has committed to providing accommodation for people who are still without power due to Storm Arwen.

The University agreed to allocate eight flats of up to six rooms, all with separate kitchens and living rooms to people in the Country Durham Area.

The emergency arrangement was reached overnight following talks between the University and City of Durham MP Mary Kelly Foy.

Foy announced the deal on Twitter, stating: “After a conversation with @durham_uni last night they’ve kindly allocated 8 flats which sleep up to 6 with separate kitchens & living rooms to residents without power”.

The Government and Durham County Council’s response have come under scrutiny

Storm Arwen, which prompted extreme weather warnings and brought the University to a standstill last Friday, continues to affect many in the region. More than 40,000 people in the North East are still waiting to regain power, including in Weardale where 3,000 households are still affected.

Both the Government and Durham County Council’s response have come under scrutiny. Local residents have complained that they feel left behind and confronted Energy Minister Greg Hands on the issue during a recent visit to Weardale.

Foy also raised the issue, telling MPs that some Durham residents were “actually facing a full seven days without heating or electricity, and this is a national scandal”.

If you are in need of support or want information on the offer of accommodation, call Durham Council on 03000 260 0000.