Durham takeaway given one star hygiene rating

A takeaway in Gilesgate has received a one star rating for hygiene standards, and is among four businesses in Durham City that are deemed of needing improvements to their hygiene standards, according to data collected by Palatinate.

The Lucky Dragon Takeaway in Gilesgate was the only business in the Durham City area to be given a one star hygiene rating by the Food Standards Agency (FSA). On their website the FSA said the takeaway had to make improvements in hygienic food handling and cleanliness, and conditions of facilities and buildings, following their inspection in October. Major improvements in the management of food safety are also needed.

Major improvement in the management of food safety are needed

Three other businesses also need to make improvements to food hygiene following low inspection ratings. Sense Food and Mfresh in Durham City Centre and Gilesgate Moor Hotel in Gilesgate all received two star hygiene ratings from the FSA.

In their reports into these 2-star businesses, the FSA noted while hygienic food handling and management of food safety was “generally satisfactory”, they noted that the cleanliness and conditions of facilities and buildings needed improvement. 

The FSA ratings cover the handling of food, how food is stored and prepared, the cleanliness of facilities and how food safety is managed. A one star rating means major improvement is necessary in how the business handles food, with the maximum being five stars which means hygiene standards are very good. 

Palatinate reached out to all the businesses for a but did not receive a response.