Mount Oswald site wins ‘University Halls of Residence of the Year’ award

The newly built accommodation at Mount Oswald has won two prizes at the Student Property Awards.

It was awarded first place for ‘Collaboration of the Year’ and for ‘University Halls of Residence of the Year’, and was additionally commended for ‘Developer of the Year’. 

First place for ‘Collaboration of the Year’ and for ‘University Halls of Residence of the Year’

The Mount Oswald site includes the new South College, which accepted its first students in 2020, and the new location for John Snow College. 

The celebrated facilities include music practice rooms, a dance studio, a multi-use games area, and a social hub which can accommodate up to 300 people. The two colleges together house a total of 1,000 self-catered students, making it one of the largest student accommodation locations.

The accommodation cost the consortium, which also is responsible for operating them, £80 million to build

Construction on the project started in the summer of 2018, and despite Covid-19 was finished in time to open its doors to this year’s freshers. Overall, the accommodation cost the consortium, which also is responsible for operating them, £80 million to build, which is double the cost of the Teaching and Learning Centre completed in 2019.

The consortium includes Equitix, a leading UK infrastructure manager and developer, and Campus Living Villages, a global operator and investor in student accommodation.

John Snow college was founded in 2001, and was initially located in the Queens Campus in Stockton-on-Tees, but in 2018 this site was closed by the University and the college was temporarily moved to Rushford Court in the Viaduct.

South College was the first new college to open in fourteen years, since Josephine Butler in 2006.

Image: Durham University