New £42 million academic building opened on Upper Mountjoy

£42 million was invested into construction of a new building for Durham University’s Mathematical Sciences and Computer Science departments. The building is now open, and includes specially made labs, computer rooms, meeting room and lecture theatres. 

The new campus site is located at Upper Mountjoy. Construction began in November 2018 and was finished on schedule despite Covid-19. The building includes the Hazan Venture Lab, which is a hub for students working on projects in these subjects, featuring working areas, a mini library and kitchen facilities.

It is named after Durham graduate Jonathan Hazan, who donated £500,000 to the project. By bringing these two departments together in a shared environment, the building will enable closer collaboration and a shared engagement with the industry. 

The university is aiming to double the number of Maths and Computer Science undergraduate students by 2026-2027

The university collaborated with Scott Logic on the building, a software consultancy based in Newcastle, and one of the lecture theatres has been named in honour of this partnership. This represents a wider growth of the tech sector in the North East, which employs 35,000 people in the area. 

The university is aiming to double the number of Maths and Computer Science undergraduate students by 2026-2027, as well as increasing the number of researchers and support staff in these departments. It is hoped that the new and state-of-the-art facilities will help achieve this, attracting ambitious and high achieving students and academics from around the country. 

The opening of this new space was celebrated virtually on the 18th of March 2021, featuring a guest talk from the tech pioneer and philanthropist Dame Stephanie Shirley.

Image: Durham University