John Snow location confirmed as Rushford Court, Viaduct

Durham University and Unite Students have announced that John Snow College is to be based at Rushford Court, North Road, for the academic year 2019/20.

The college has recently relocated following the University’s closure of the former Queens Campus in Stockton-on-Tees, and is presently situated beside Josephine Butler and George Stephenson colleges.

Rushford Court, a Unite Students property, will be the college’s home for one year before moving to new purpose-built facilities at Mount Oswald in time for the 2020/21 year.

John Snow’s new location in the Viaduct area of the city provides close access to Durham railway and bus stations, and the premises boasts 358 bedrooms, of which 280 are cluster flats and 78 studio rooms.

The college opened in September 2018 under Unite Students and currently operates in partnership with the University during this academic year.

John Snow College’s premises comprise of 358 en-suite bedrooms, including 280 in cluster flats and 78 in studios

The premises boasts 358 bedrooms

Rushford Court also boasts a gym, games room, cinema room, laundry facilities, Junior Common Room (JCR) space and bicycle storage.

Owen Adams, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience) at Durham University, said: “As part of our ten-year University Strategy, we are increasing the number of our students that live in Collegiate accommodation, and we are very pleased to announce Rushford Court as John Snow College’s temporary new home for 2019/20.

“Rushford Court will offer the full Durham Collegiate experience, combining opportunities for intellectual and personal development with pastoral and welfare support in a thriving, mixed community.

“I am sure the location, close to Durham railway and bus stations, the city centre, other Colleges, and departments will also be attractive.

“We are committed to working with our neighbours and partners in Durham, and hope that having a College in this central location will bring benefits for both the University and City.”

Moray Notman, University Engagement Director for Unite Students, said: “We are really proud to be building on our partnership with Durham University to provide a home for success, for students studying at John Snow College. We look forward to welcoming them, and their University staff who will have offices at Rushford Court, in September 2019.”

John Snow College opened in Stockton-on-Tees in 2001 and is home to over 900 undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Photographs: Durham University via Flickr