1500 attend Revolution bar launch

1500 party-goers attended the opening night of the new Vodka Revolution bar which opened on Silver Street last week.

Revolution told Palatinate the bar is “really pleased with the success of the event” and promised the launch of a student night in the near future.

The grand opening follows a lavish £1 million redevelopment of the former Bishop Langley pub on the site, which overlooks the River Wear.

Revolution Bars, which run 76 branches throughout the country, operate their establishments as a bar, restaurant and party venue.

The new bar has created more than 60 full and part-time jobs for the area, which has been welcomed following the closure of several major stores on Silver Street in recent times.

Revolution Durham’s Facebook launch page boasts of ‘a night that’s going to be anything but ordinary with weird and wonderful live entertainment, yummy canapes and samples of our infamous cocktail menu. We’ve got a few other surprises tucked up our sleeves too!’

Revolution Bars filed for planning permission last year to refurbish the former pub, which had lain empty for over two years following its closure.

Controversy occurred when objections rose to Revolution Bar’s plans to construct a retractable roof over the patio area to accommodate al fresco dining all year round for customers. Concerns were raised that the construction would disfigure the view from Framwellgate Bridge of the historic Durham castle and cathedral, which is a protected World Heritage Site.

The Revolution chain has been expanding throughout the North East in recent years, opening new branches in Newcastle and Sunderland.

The area around Framwellgate Bridge has been undergoing an expansive multi-million-pound redevelopment as the new Riverwalk complex also takes shape along the bankside.’

Joe Banfield, a third-year student said: “They sent a guy up delivering boxes to their neighbours – white chocolate vodka, red velvet cake and a load of discounts.

“I live just up the road, so that was a real bonus. And they invited us for an evening to try a free drink!

“It’s been so exciting to watch the transformation of the abandoned Bishop Langley into an exciting, if bourgeois, new bar and restaurant that seems genuinely interested in its surrounded communities.”

Photograph: Revolution Durham via Facebook