Man’s body found in River Wear in Durham

By Waseem Mohamed

The body of a man was recovered by emergency services from the River Wear in Durham yesterday evening (20th September).

Police, ambulance and fire crews responded to the incident shortly after 5pm, with several emergency vehicles being spotted around Baths Bridge and The Racecourse areas of the city.

In a statement, Durham Constabulary confirmed that they received reports of concern about a man in the river, and that sadly a body was recovered. The police are working to identify the male and notify their next of kin, with a thorough investigation taking place before a file is prepared for the coroner.

A spokesperson for the Constabulary said: “We were called to reports of concern for a man in the river in Durham just after 5pm on Tuesday (September 20).

“Officers, along with colleagues from the County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service and the North East Ambulance Service, attended the scene where sadly, a man’s body was recovered.

“We politely ask that members of the public do not speculate on the circumstances.”

Durham constabulary

“A thorough investigation will now be carried out before a file is prepared for the coroner. Work is underway to identify the man and notify his next of kin.

In a statement to Chronicle Live, a spokesperson for the North East Ambulance Service said: “We got a call at 11 minutes past five to assist the emergency services on scene. We dispatched our hazardous area response team, a paramedic ambulance and an officer.”

Palatinate have contacted County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service for further comment. They told Chronicle Live that “they sent their water rescue team to the scene after being contacted by police. They recovered the man’s body from the water.”

Photography: