Exhibit honouring Ukrainian students killed in war to be presented at Durham SU

From March 7th to March 10th, Durham Students’ Union will present an exhibition called ‘Unissued Diplomas’ at Dunelm House.

The ‘Unissued Diplomas’ exhibition displays the stories of 36 Ukrainian students who were killed in the Russian invasion before they could graduate. It was created to highlight the impacts of the war on the daily lives of Ukranians. The exhibit started on the 1 year anniversary of the start of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and will visit over 45 countries by March 11th. 

The ‘Unissued Diplomas’ exhibition displays the stories of Ukrainian students who were killed in the Russian invasion before they could graduate

‘Unissued Diplomas’ specifically highlights the lives of 28 Ukrainian students. One of these students is Leah Krylova, who studied Tourism at Mariupol State University. At age 20 she and her family were killed when a Russian shell hit their house. Since her death, the city of Mariupol has been destroyed by Russian bombardment. 

According to their website, ‘Unissued Diplomas’ was created to “remind the world about the ongoing war and the price Ukrainians pay daily in their fight for freedom”, and that they “want to support Ukrainian students who stay in Ukraine and sacrifice their time and education to work for Ukraine’s freedom”.

The creators of the exhibit are hoping to raise $10,000 for the Second Front Ukraine Foundation, to buy medical supplies and three camera drones for the intelligence needs of students fighting on the frontline. So far, they have raised around $4,500 of their goal.

Durham is one of more than 45 universities worldwide in which the exhibit is being presented, with other exhibits in the UK taking place at City, University of London, the University of Glasgow and Loughborough University.

The exhibit will be in The Lounge at Dunelm House, the Durham SU building, until March 10th.