Car chase in Durham ends with two suspects entering River Wear

By Waseem Mohamed

A police car chase ended in dramatic fashion this morning after two of the suspects involved jumped into the River Wear in an attempt to escape the chasing officers.

Officers were initially alerted to a suspected stolen vehicle on the A690 in the village of West Rainton, a few miles east of Durham City. The vehicle was then chased by the police into the city through Claypath, before the suspects reached the Sands area.

The three suspects then abandoned the vehicle at the Sands, with two of the suspects seen entering the River Wear. The incident triggered a major emergency response, with one witness telling The Northern Echo that they saw “multiple police cars, fire appliances and an ambulance going down Claypath in the direction of the Sands.”

In a statement, a Durham Police spokesperson said “At 8.40am today, police were alerted to a suspected stolen vehicle on the A690 near West Rainton. The vehicle was pursued onto Claypath, in Durham City, where the three occupants fled the vehicle – two of which entered the River Wear.”

The spokesperson also confirmed that “Three men have since been arrested in connection with the incident and remain in police custody,” following the car chase.

Image: The Northern Echo