International students must return to Durham for resits

By Blundell 

Durham University has announced that from 2019 onwards, all students will have to return to Durham to resit their examinations. Each year, following the main exam period of May and June, an additional resit timetable is in place throughout August for those who did not get the results that they needed or were unable to sit their exams.

Up until now, students with permanent residency outside of the UK could go to the British Council to request that they take the examination in their home country, if that was a facility offered. There was a £50 charge to take exams overseas, with the possibility of further charges incurred by the British Council.

Previously, international students would not have to travel back to Durham for their resits, so long as they had approval from Student Registry and their academic department and providing that their exams were not practical or computer-based.

“We regularly experienced issues with various overseas venues not following invigilation and quality control regulations”

However, international students will now be expected to travel back to Durham in August this year if they have to resit their examinations, the results of which they will only find out two months prior.

Michael Gilmore, Academic Registrar, said: “In recent years, the University has experienced increasing problems with the organisations that host its overseas examinations, including the reliability of venues, the quality control of examination invigilation and the cost to students. These issues were compounded by the changes to the structure of the academic year.

“In October 2017, the University decided to offer exam re-sits in Durham only, and not abroad. As it stands, 30% of Durham students are of non-UK origin and will be subject to these changes, should they need to resit their examinations.”

Gilmore added, “Prior to this decision, we regularly experienced serious issues with various overseas venues not following invigilation and quality control regulations, refusing to host resit exams at the last minute, and not being accessible to disabled students.

“Not all examinations could be taken overseas; students with practical or computer-based examinations had to return to Durham.

“Students resitting exams in British Council venues overseas often had to pay considerable costs to do so. In many cases, it was cheaper for students to return to Durham.”

Photo from Durham University website.