Green move out scheme raises £2000

By Blundell 

The Green Move Out scheme raised £2000 last year as students donated unwanted goods ahead of the summer holidays.

The money was donated to charities in County Durham, including the Durham Palestine Educational Trust, the East Durham Trust and A Way Out.

Durham University is leading the way with environmentally friendly action for reducing waste, focusing on achieving zero waste in halls of residence through reuse schemes.

The Green Move Out scheme, in partnership with Durham University, Durham County Council, Durham Constabulary and County Durham Furniture Help Scheme, is a key part of this effort.

Since the launch of the scheme in 2005, more than 126 tonnes of equipment have been donated. The Green Move Out project has been a finalist in the EAUC Green Gown Awards in 2016 and 2017 and won awards at the Altogether Greener Environment Awards in 2011 and 2015.

Malcom Fallow, CEO of East Durham Trust, said: ‘Thanks again for your continued support… the donations are making a significant difference to people’s lives.’

The scheme is already underway for 2018. Purple bags for waste collection were distributed to livers out far and wide in the residential areas of Durham in May, whilst blue bags being provided for livers in. In addition, general information on recycling is being provided to students keen to do their bit for the environment.

Since 2005, more than 126 tonnes of equipment have been donated

Incentives are being offered in the form of the inter-collegiate Green Move Out Awards. Up for grabs is the Best Undergraduate Performance award, the Best Postgraduate Performance award as well as the Most Improved Performance. The overall prize of the Green Move Out Shield was awarded to Stephenson College last year, and Collingwood college in 2015/16.

This is just one aspect of the university’s environmentally friendly endeavours where waste disposal is concerned.

Earlier this year, Environment Week was held between the 26th of February to the 4th of March, featuring talks from Durham County Council Waste Team and O’Brien Waste Recycling Solution. With some events cancelled due to adverse weather, those interested can attend the rescheduled events in May, including a How to Reduce Waste event by Durham County Council.

In addition, WARPit is Durham University’s new electronic portal for swapping furniture and equipment, so that students can donate unwanted possessions such as student house furnishings to those who want them.

Photograph: Durham University