St Chad’s College renames Senior Man or Woman as JCR President

By Blundell

St. Chad’s College has successfully passed a motion to change the previously named ‘Senior Man’ or ‘Senior Woman’ to ‘JCR President’.

173 members of St. Chad’s JCR voted to change the nomenclature of the ‘Senior Man/Woman’ position, while 40 members voted against the motion and 33 abstained at the JCR meeting on Sunday.

There was no formal opposition to the motion.

St. Chad’s JCR President, Josh Barker, told Palatinate: “This is only a small change but, I think it demonstrates our commitment at Chad’s to being an inclusive community for all our students.”

Whilst this is the first time the position has been successfully renamed, it is not the first time that such a change has been proposed.

This is only a small change but, I think it demonstrates our commitment at Chad’s to being an inclusive community for all our students

In October 2015 University College voted to change the name of its JCR President to ‘Senior Student’, which gave those taking up the role the choice between ‘Senior Man’, ‘Senior Woman’ or ‘Senior Student’.

Shortly after in January 2016, Hatfield College proposed to change the name of the JCR President to the gender-neutral choices of ‘Senior Man,’ ‘Senior Woman,’ or ‘Senior Student’, as previously reported by Palatinate.

The motion was proposed by the Senior Man and two LGBTQ+ reps as well as a welfare officer.

12 members of Hatfield College were in favour of the motion; 19 against, with six members abstaining.

University College and Hatfield are now the two remaining colleges which do not use the term ‘JCR President’.