Government support for Durham Grant students amounts to £80

Durham University has used funding from the Government to provide Durham Grant recipients £80 to go towards paying rent for private accomodation.

The funds, from the Office for Students, are part of a government initiative to provide support for students during the pandemic.

In an email to recipients of the full £2000 Durham Grant, the University stated that they would receive “a small payment of up to £80 as a contribution towards your accomodation costs during the pandemic.”

“We recognise this amount is very small and that in no way is it intended to cover your full accomodation costs”

Durham University

The university said that the funds amounted to around £129,000 for the whole student body, meaning the funds department was “limited by the size of government allocation we have been granted.

“We recognise this amount is very small and that in no way is it intended to cover your full accomodation costs”.

Due to this size of this budget, the University elected to prioritise recipients of the full Durham Grant living in private accomodation. This decision was made in line with government recommendations.

The Durham Grant is a non-repayable fund that provides students from households with income ranging from £42,850 to £25,000 a supporting allowance of up to £2,000. It is only available for full-time students.

The Grant is designed to reduce the impact of accomodation costs for lower-income students. For grant recipients living in-college, the amount they are eligible for is deducted from their payments for college accomodation.

Image: Durham University

Support Palatinate