Anti-abortion campaign displays graphic imagery

Since the start of the academic year, Durham has seen a resurgence in anti-abortion protestors, who frequently use billboards with graphic images. This comes in the context of a national debate over antiabortion groups within universities.

A group of activists from a national campaign were first present during Freshers’ Week, on Tuesday 28th and Wednesday 29th September, the dates of this year’s Freshers Fair. The group, who states their aim is to “challenge views of abortion”, gathered at the Palatine Centre roundabout.

The all-male protesters were equipped with graphic images of what they claimed to be parts of the abortion process.

As the Freshers’ Fair was being held at Maiden Castle, the route of many hill college students took them past the campaigners. The protesters were equipped with graphic images of what they claimed to be parts of the abortion process. They claimed to have permission to protest at the spot from local authorities and that they had informed the police beforehand.

The protesters were equipped with graphic images of what they claimed to be parts of the abortion process. Freshers representatives and welfare students from Grey College, whose students were using the route the campaigners were on at the time to get to the Fair, attempted to cover the images with a banner, and set up a perimeter warning passers-by about the graphic content up ahead.

In response to this, the campaigners called the police, who prevented the freps from covering the images. On a separate occasion on 16th October, campaigners representing the same national group positioned themselves on Framwellgate Bridge. Content warnings were in place at either end of the bridge.

This is not the first time that an anti-abortion group has caused controversy in Durham. In 2019 the Durham Students for Life group organised an event entitled “How to Be a Voice for the Voiceless and Defend PreBorn Babies”, which was held at St. Cuthbert’s Church. The event was protested by the Durham Students for Abortion Access and Durham Intersectional Feminist Society groups.

Several universities across the UK have seen an increase in pro-life activism this term. At the Oxford University Freshers Fair, the Oxford Students for Life stall was dismantled by protestors, and the society was heavily criticised by the Oxford Feminist Society, who argued they should not have a place at the SU-run fair.

Exeter University also drew criticism for the guild approval of Exeter Students For Life, with a petition claiming that society promotes a “dangerous ideology” and will “exacerbate the pre-existing stigmas around abortion” gaining more than 8,000 signatures. Durham Police were contacted for comment.

2 thoughts on “Anti-abortion campaign displays graphic imagery

• Good. If you’re going to murder a baby, you can feel uncomfortable.

• Great to see an awakening conscience to this barbaric practice