Durham University to install 58 pianos across campus

Durham University is set to add 58 new Steinway & Sons pianos to the existing nine on campus in the new academic year. The instruments are to be distributed among colleges, as well as the Music Department in order to give all students access to the pianos.

The new pianos are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday 27 April 2022. They form part of a new initiative between Durham University and Steinway & Sons to make Durham an “All-Steinway” University over the next academic year, in order to increase accessibility and opportunities in the study of Music for all students.

“Having pretty much unlimited access to such first-class instruments is a bit of dream! Access to these facilities is so rare in the big wide world, let alone within a University Institution.”

– Mary-Anne Grego, third year Liberal Arts student

Through the partnership, students will also be able to perform in the recital room of Steinway Hall in London. Music students will also have the opportunity to attend master classes provided by Steinway in both Durham and their performance Halls. The first master class is set to take place in October in the Steinway Hall in Marylebone.

With Steinway Halls existing across the world, including in New York and Hong Kong, they also offer “exceptional audition spaces for prospective international students”, according to the University.

Mary-Anne Grego, a third year Liberal Arts student studying Music as part of her degree, said: “Having pretty much unlimited access to such first-class instruments is a bit of dream! Access to these facilities is so rare in the big wide world, let alone within a University Institution.”

Durham University is ranked in first place for the academic study of Music according to The Guardian UK Universities Ranking for 2021.

Image: Blog post by Mary-Anne Grego via the Durham University Blog

One thought on “Durham University to install 58 pianos across campus

• What a waste of money. Again showing the lack of caring by the university for things that matter