College accommodation charges to be waived for students unable to return during Easter Term

Livers-in who are unable to return to living in College in Easter term will not be charged for their accommodation fees, Durham University has announced today in an email to all students. 

As not all students will be able or wish to return to live in College for the third term, their residence charges are now payable from the date they return to College accommodation and until the end of the licence agreement. For students who do not return at all, the residence costs will be waived until the end of the licence agreement. 

However, the University has emphasised that the Colleges will “operate in line with Covid-19 restrictions to provide a safe environment” for those living there.

As the University recognises that the last year has been “incredibly difficult” for the University community, residence fees for College accommodation will not be required to be paid until June.   

The University has stated that plans are currently being finalised for an “enhanced wider student experience” in Easter Term in a Covid-secure campus. However, such plans are “subject to the course of the pandemic and government guidance”. These plans will be communicated in due course.

The individual Colleges have also communicated further details to their livers-in this week in order to provide more specific guidance about the new term. 

Those not in resident for all or part of the Epiphany Term are required to complete a form allowing them to receive a waiver for College residence charges for that term.