Durham University ranked 5th in the UK by The Guardian

Durham University has today been ranked fifth in the UK by The Guardian in their 2020 University Guide.

The University was placed behind Cambridge, St. Andrews, Oxford and Loughborough. The English department was ranked top in the UK, and a further 18 subjects at Durham were ranked in the Top Ten.

Durham was ranked 40th out of 141 universities for student satisfaction with their course, and 77th for student satisfaction with teaching

The Guide consists of a number of indicators, including student satisfaction with course, teaching and feedback, as well as the student to staff ratio and the average spend per student. The Guide also considers future employability and student outcomes.

Durham University was ranked 40th out of 141 universities for student satisfaction with their course, and 77th for student satisfaction with teaching.

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor and Warden, Durham University, said: “Our success in these reflects extremely well on the excellent work being done here at Durham. It also speaks to the extraordinary quality of our students.

“I am confident you will join me in extending our congratulations to colleagues and students across the University on these positive results.

“Our success in these reflects extremely well on the excellent work being done here at Durham”

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor and Warden, Durham University

“I would also like to thank everyone for their hard work and commitment to the continuing high standing of Durham University.

“Durham is one of the world’s great universities and one of the most distinctive. We aim to inspire our students and staff to achieve extraordinary things and I am delighted that this is recognised by our continued high standing in global and national league tables.”

This follows Durham being ranked sixth in the country in The Complete University Guide 2020, for a second consecutive year. Durham was previously ranked fifth in the Guardian University Guide 2019, and fourth in 2018.

The University was also ranked 74th in the QS World University 2019, making Durham a World Top 100 University.

In a statement, the University said: “Highlighting our outstanding student experience and cutting-edge teaching, the Guardian University Guide 2020 ranks English as top in the UK. We now have 19 subjects ranked in the top ten, with eight of these placed in the top five.”

“At Durham, we aim to create a truly inspiring student experience for everyone, not least by investing in our facilities”

“Our success highlights not only our teaching excellence, but also how their time at Durham is an important first step for our students, preparing them to go out in the world and do outstanding things.

“At Durham, we aim to create a truly inspiring student experience for everyone, not least by investing in our facilities.

“Our new sports complex will allow our athletes to compete at the highest levels of British University Sport and encourage students, staff and our local community to participate in sport.

“Meanwhile in the heart of historic Durham City, and following a £2 million renovation, we are looking forward to the grand re-opening of our very own Student Theatre, The Assembly Rooms.”

Read the full Guide here.

Photograph by